Legalising Euthanasia in Australia

After being asked to find an issue of interest in relation to current federal election, I found many texts that showed different representations of the issue of Euthanasia.  The text’s Green’s push for Euthanasia bill, and Voluntary Euthanasia Party is Born both shown on the ABC NEWS website, positions the viewer to accept Greens MP Cate Faehrmann’s representation that Euthanasia is a simple, straight forward issue and should be legalised in New South Wales. In stark contrast, the article No place for euthanasia written by founder of HOPE: Preventing Euthanasia & Assisted Suicide Paul Russell, Euthanasia is represented as a complex issue, with many consequences, positioning the viewer to accept that it should not be legalised.

Language features throughout the texts allow the viewer to accept the values presented. Throughout the texts Green Push for Euthanasia Bill and Voluntary Euthanasia Party is Born, the use of statistics positions the audience to accept certain values. An example of this is shown in Green Push for Euthanasia Bill with the use of statistics is in relation to the Australia’s opinion on Euthanasia. “When surveyed, 85-per cent of the population agrees with euthanasia under those terms.” The use of this question positions the viewer to value its content, as the percentage is of high majority. The word ‘agree’ also reinforces the positioning that the article is trying to present, that Euthanasia should be legalised. In the same way, the text No place for euthanasia uses statistics to position the viewer to accept values, however these values represent why Euthanasia should not be legalised. Like Green Push for Euthanasia Bill, the text also chose a high percentage statistic, to make the argument valid. The quote tells of a recent survey being held in the UK, where “…70% of people living with disabilities feared the advent of euthanasia and assisted suicide”. The word ‘fear’, represents euthanasia as a thing to be scared or fearful of, and because the quote is positioned after Russell explains Euthanasia and its impact on the vulnerable and the elderly, it positions the viewer to feel sympathy and question ethics.  The phrase ‘assisted suicide’ also represents euthanasia as an illegal, and morally wrong thing to do, and positions the viewer to think about their moralistic judgments.

Positioning the viewer through emotions is another writing style used by the text Voluntary Euthanasia Party is Born. The article positions the viewer to feel sympathy, and to agree that Euthanasia should be legalised with the examples of three terminally ill candidates who launched an election campaign with Voluntary Euthanasia Party. The text uses the quotation of man Martin Burgess, who states that the campaign will be ‘physically tough’, but yet he will still continue to “get this issue as high a profile as possible”. The example of a person wanting to die with the use of Euthanasia makes the viewer believe that there is legitimate reasoning for it, therefore positioning them to agree to make Euthanasia legalised.

All texts researched show the importance of language features, in the use of positioning the audience to position values. In the texts studied, it becomes clear that the same use of language features show opposing representations for the issue of legalising Euthanasia in Australia.

By Gemma Evans

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

Greens push for Euthanasia bill – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). 2013. Greens push for Euthanasia bill – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-02/euthanasia/4665738. [Accessed 12 September 2013].

Opinion: No place for euthanasia – Australian Ageing Agenda: Aged Care and Retirement Industry News and Issues. 2013. Opinion: No place for euthanasia – Australian Ageing Agenda: Aged Care and Retirement Industry News and Issues. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.australianageingagenda.com.au/2011/05/31/article/Opinion-No-place-for-euthanasia/HEDGJQUKQF.html. [Accessed 12 September 2013].

Voluntary Euthanasia Party is born – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). 2013. Voluntary Euthanasia Party is born – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-19/euthanasia-party-born/4897306. [Accessed 12 September 2013].

3 comments

1. jordymonash

Voluntary euthanasia or “assisted suicide” as the article No place for euthanasia likes to call it, is a very controversial issue around the world especially in regards to the mentally retarded, insane and immobile. I believe very strongly that voluntary euthanasia should be made legal in Australia as those who are suffering immense amounts of pain, whether physical or mental should have the option of being able to move on if it is their wish. Some may argue that this is against our ethical practices but I believe that it’s against our ethical practices to not give them the option to be able to perform voluntary euthanasia. The article No place for euthanasia uses statistics from the United Kingdom stating that “70% of people living with disabilities feared the advent of euthanasia and assisted suicide”, I believe that although this article has a valid point, it is about what Australia wants, not what other countries want, and as the article Green Push for Euthanasia Bill shows us that 85% of Australia agrees to a voluntary euthanasia program that it should go ahead. From this article it has made me realise how positively affluence I am to realise that we all have the right to make decisions and if that decision is to take away ones own life then we should be able to have that decision.

2. michaelcozens00

Your article is very informative on one of the many controversial issues in Australia at the present moment in time, if it was legalized it would give many terminally ill patients in hospital as well as the mentally disabled, or for that matter anyone who felt so inclined to take their own life, a kind way out of life if they wished it. With life many people can do whatever pleases them, whether that be getting married, having children, or even the option of attending school. Also there are other things in life such as being a gambler or a prisoner for committing a murder, everyone in their lives are able to do anything and everything, but when it comes to their death, almost anyone who wants a way out can not die with dignity. I do agree with what jordymonash says though, with the statistics in the U.K, we should be worried about what is happening in our nation, not what is happening overseas. Would it matter if our government legalized euthanasia and the U.K didn’t? I personally believe that euthanasia should be legalized, even though it can be referred to as both ‘assisted suicide’ and ‘assisted murder’, we need to start thinking of what is best for the people of our nation who would welcome the idea of euthanasia, as it’s their life, and therefore their choice.

3. izzythompson

The issue of Euthanasia is clearly represented in two contrasting ways, one supporting the issue and the other completely discrediting the practice. Gemma’s article reinforces my belief that Euthanasia should be legalised in Australia but also makes me consider the negative impacts that this could have. The text No place for euthanasia makes a statement that “…70% of people living with disabilities feared the advent of euthanasia and assisted suicide.” This statement evokes an emotional response from the reader and makes me consider whether the introduction of legalised Euthanasia is entirely the correct thing to do. However, I value being able to make my own decision and I strongly believe that people should be allowed to die with dignity own their own terms. The use of statistics in both texts is tactical and strategic as the reader cannot argue with hard evidence and promotes support for the particular viewpoint. Gemma also says that texts use emotions to make the reader feel sympathy, I don’t believe that texts should do this as this can effect a person’s ability to make a clear informed opinion and is a form of manipulation. Despite this, my opinions have not changed and I still firmly believe in the legalisation of Euthanasia.

Post a comment